I’m Suraj (“soo-rudge”), and I’m a Lecturer in the Halıcıoğlu Data Science Institute at UC San Diego 🌴, where I teach undergraduate courses. This year, I’m managing the senior capstone program.
I graduated with BS and MS degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences from UC Berkeley in 2020 and 2021, respectively. There, I was advised by Josh Hug and helped create and teach courses in computer science and data science. I’m originally from Windsor, Ontario 🇨🇦.
At UC San Diego (2021-)
DSC 10: Principles of Data Science 📊
Fall 2022 (w/Janine Tiefenbruck & Puoya Tabaghi) • Winter 2022 • Fall 2021 (w/Janine Tiefenbruck)
DSC 180AB: Data Science Project (Senior Capstone) 👷
Fall 2022 + Winter 2023
CSS 201S: Introduction to Python Bootcamp (Week 1 only) 🥾
DSC 80: Practice and Application of Data Science 💪
DSC 90: History of Data Science Seminar 📚
Spring 2022 • Winter 2022
DSC 40A: Theoretical Foundations of Data Science I 🧠
At UC Berkeley (2016-2021)
Data 94: Introduction to Computational Thinking with Data
Spring 2021 (now known as Data 6)
Data 100: Principles and Techniques of Data Science
Summer 2020 (w/Allen Shen)
TA: Fall 2020 • Spring 2020 • Fall 2019 • Spring 2019 • Fall 2018
CS 198-087: Introduction to Mathematical Thinking DeCal
Spring 2019, Fall 2018
CS 70: Discrete Mathematics and Probability Theory
TA: Summer 2019
CS 375: Teaching Techniques for Computer Science
TA: Summer 2019
CS 61A: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
TA: Spring 2018
Data 8: Foundations of Data Science
TA: Fall 2017
Tutor: Spring 2017
- The Challenges of Evolving Technical Courses at Scale: Four Case Studies of Updating Large Data Science Courses. Sam Lau, Justin Eldridge, Shannon Ellis, Aaron Fraenkel, Marina Langlois, Suraj Rampure, Janine Tiefenbruck, Philip Guo. In ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale (L@S), 2022.
- A New Data-Focused Introductory Programming Course. Suraj Rampure. 2021. Master’s technical report, UC Berkeley EECS.
- Experiences Teaching a Large Upper-Division Data Science Course Remotely. Suraj Rampure*, Allen Shen*, and Josh Hug. 2020. In Proceedings of the 52nd ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE ’21). (slides) (video)
- UC Berkeley Data Science Education Podcast Guest (“The Importance of Data Science Course Staff”) (episode link)
- 2020 EECS/CS Student Life Panel Moderator (video)
What do you think happened here?